Here is my take on the classic Salade Nicoise. It is rich in omega-3 fats, healthy vitamins galore, and of course, plenty of protein.
I love the taste of anchovies, but they are not for everyone--if that means you, simply omit them.
Certainly, freshly-grilled tuna fillets would be preferred, but this is a salad I like to make when dinner preparation needs to come quickly, with items on hand. But if you do have fresh tuna, use it!
And if you don't have a backyard grill (or just feel like keeping your work in the kitchen), then use your gas burner on your stove to char the leaves of romaine--in either case, it adds a rich depth of flavor to the salad, a real treat! Just take the entire heart of romaine and place it directly on the grate over a high heat, leaving it in place until the outer leaves begin to blacken, then rotate, so that all sides are charred, but the inner leaves are raw.
Serves 2 as an Entree, 4 as a Side
• 1 bunch Hearts of Romaine Lettuce, rinsed and dried then flash-grilled
• 1 organic yellow or red Bell Pepper, grilled and thinly-sliced
• 2 cups organic Spring Mix Lettuce
• 2 Carrots, shredded
• 1 cup organic Sweet Cherry tomatoes, halved
• _ cup English Cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
• _ cup Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
• 2 organic Eggs, boiled and sliced
• 1 6 oz. can Yellowfin Tuna in Olive Oil
• 1 2 oz. tin Anchovies in oil
• 4-5 cloves of Garlic, chopped
• _ Valencia Onion, or Maui Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
• Coarse Sea Salt (I like Celtic) and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
• Juice of 2-3 Lemons
• 1-2 T Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
• 3-4 T organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Dash of Nutritional Yeast, if desired
Divide ingredients and arrange all vegetables in a pasta bowl, then top with eggs and fish, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Top with a little nutritional yeast, if you choose.Sarica Cernohous, L.Ac., MSTOM, is a practitioner of Japanese acupuncture, moxibustion therapy, and herbal medicine in Peoria, Arizona. She works closely with her patients in improving their health through whole-food dietary practices. She can be contacted through her website, www.naturallylivingtoday.com.
© Token Rock, Inc. All rights reserved.